Cook's Hideout: Potato Rice for Lunch box (Aloo bhath)

July 18, 2016

Potato Rice for Lunch box (Aloo bhath)

Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Lunch Box Recipes
Dish: Potato Rice with Spice powder 
Both my kids love potatoes and can eat it every single day without getting bored. I'm the one getting bored to make them the same potato curry. So when I saw this recipe on a cooking show, I noted it down and made it for my kids.
Spicy Potato Rice
This rice has crispy fried potatoes mixed with a homemade spice powder. The use of lentils (dals) in the powder adds some protein to the dish. Serve it with some yogurt for a filling meal.

Most of th schools here in US are 'Nut-free', so we are not allowed to send nut based dishes to school in the fear of allergies to the kids. Along with potatoes my kids love peanuts, but I don't add them to their lunch. I added them today because they are home on summer vacation :-)
Spicy potato rice
If you have the spice powder ready the dish takes less than 30 minutes to finish. Dice the potatoes real small, so they can cook fast and make sure to use a nonstick pan to avoid sticking to the pan. Both my kids loved this dish and I'm sure they'll be seeing this quite often in their lunchbox.


Spicy Potato Rice
Ingredients:
  • 2cups Cooked Rice (I use Sonamasoori rice)
  • 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
  • To taste Salt
  • For the Spice powder:
  • 1tbsp Chana dal
  • 1tbsp Urad dal
  • 1tbsp Cashews (add peanuts or almonds or both)
  • 2~3 Dry red chilies
  • 1tsp Coriander seeds
  • 1tsp Cumin seeds
  • For Tempering:
  • 1tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1tbsp Peanuts (skip if allergic)
  • 1tsp Chana dal
  • 1tsp Urad dal
  • 8~10 Curry leaves
  • 1~2tbsp Lemon juice
Method:
  1. Make the Spice powder: Heat 2tsp ghee in a saucepan. Add the ingredients for spice powder and saute until they are lightly golden and aromatic, about 2~3 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once completely cooled, grind to a coarse powder and set aside.
  2. Cook rice making sure that it doesn't get mushy. Set aside to cool.
  3. In a large nonstick pan, heat 2tbsp oil and add the tempering ingredients. Once the seeds start to splutter and peanuts are golden, add the chopped potatoes. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 8~10 minutes.
  4. Next add the spice powder, salt and the cooked rice. Mix well, cover and cook for 2~3 minutes. Finally stir in lemon juice, mix well and serve.
 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 66.
Linking this to Kid's Delight-Lunchbox Recipes event (started by Valli) going on right here on my blog.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. The rice looks absolutely delicious pavani..so sad about the no nuts clause...still one has to be cautious I guess...this one is surely to be made soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so makign this Pavani ! thanks for a wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow such a flavor full rice looks so delicious nice choice for lunch box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom-in-law used to make potato rice, though late even I have started liking it. Use of spice powder is a nice idea. I'll give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. very interesting recipe and that too without onions and garlic... Loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, this aloo bhath is a killer, i dont mind finishing that bowl rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post with informative recipe. I love to eat Potato rice in my lunch.

    http://khojguru.com/foodybaba-coupons-codes_b_2naiu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm Pavani even I will love this rice. Can you send it across?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting rice . It is similar to the way we make poha with the exception of spice powder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting combination you got there!! Lovely rice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting rice and looks so flavorful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips