Cook's Hideout: Rajasthani Dal Dhokli

May 17, 2016

Rajasthani Dal Dhokli

Blogging Marathon#64: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Wholewheat Dishes
Dish: Dal Dhokli
We are starting our 3rd week of blogging marathon today and my theme for the week is 'Wholewheat Dishes'. For the first day I made a hearty and comforting dish popular in both Gujarat and Rajasthan, Dal Dhokli. This has been on my list of dishes to try for a very long time and finally got a chance to try it out.
Spicy Dal Dhokli
Dal dhokli is a filling one pot meal where dhoklis aka Indian style wheat pasta :-) are simmered in dal until cooked through. From what I read, Rajasthani version is slightly spicier than Gujarati version. I tried the spicy version and it was amazing, both my kids loved it too. I told them this how close an Indian dish can get to Italian pasta and they were very happy to try.
Spicy Dal Dhokli
I followed Manjula's recipe to the T and loved how it turned out. I was a little worried that the dough would get soggy after boiling, but they were cooked perfectly and tasted great. One thing to keep in mind is to let dal start boiling before adding the dhoklis otherwise they might clump up and get soggy.

Recipe from Manjula's Desi Fiesta:

Dal Dhokli
Ingredients:
    For Dhokli:
  • 1cup Wheat flour/ Atta
  • ½~1tsp Red Chili powder (adjust as per taste)
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • ½tsp Ground cumin
  • ½tsp Carom seeds
  • 1tbsp Oil
  • To taste Salt
  • For Dal:
  • ½cup Toor Dal
  • ½tsp Mustard seeds
  • ½tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 Medium Tomato, chopped
  • 1tsp Red Chili powder
  • ½tsp Turmeric
  • ½tsp Ground Coriander
  • ½tsp Ground Cumin
  • ⅛tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
  • 8~10 Curry leaves
  • 1tbsp Oil
  • To taste Salt
  • For Serving:
  • As needed Onion, finely chopped
  • As needed Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 Lemon
  • As needed Thin Sev
Method:
  1. Make Dhokli: In a medium bowl, combine wheat flour, red chili powder, turmeric, carom seeds, ground cumin, oil and salt. Add just enough water to make a stiff and smooth dough.
  2. Divide the dough into small balls and flatten them into discs making sure to keep the thickness even. Place the dhokli on a plate and keep covered with a clean kitchen towel until ready to use.
  3. Make Dal: Pressure cook dal until tender and mushy.
  4. Heat oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida; when the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and tomato. Cook till the tomato turns mushy.
  5. Add red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and turmeric. Mix well and add the cooked dal and enough water to get a thin consistency.
  6. Season with salt and bring the dal to a boil.
  7. Once the dal is boiling, gently add the dhoklis, lower the heat to a simmer and cook dhoklis for 15~20 minutes or until cooked through. To check if the dhoklis are cooked, remove one from the dal and cut it, if still raw in the middle, simmer a little longer, if it looks cooked, then it's done.
  8. Serve warm with chopped cilantro, onions, sev and lemon juice.
Spicy Dal Dhokli

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 64.
Signature

10 comments:

  1. wow pavani what an visual treat to my eyes :) thank you so much for trying and you have presented it so well , am drooling for dhokli right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is still on my to do list, infact wanted to try this for ICC, never got around doing it..now that you have done, I can't even have it for ICC..lol...the pictures are looking amazing..and so nicely captured..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came to know of this recipe. I friend mentioned it and also saw it in a cookery show. Looks delicious and am assuming it can be served as a meal by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one filling bowl of dal dhokli. I have tried it once and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a long time I made this.... Just drooling now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a Gujju version of Daal Dhokli too , the Rajasthani version sounds interesting . Will try it soon .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried the Gujju version. This version looks so good I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply delicious, give me that bowl i want to finish rite now.So tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning looking dhokli, Pavani. I am sure we will love this too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mil used to make it and somehow I never have tried making it. Must make as my FIL will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips