Cook's Hideout: Norwegian Apple Trifle for #Food of the World

February 09, 2016

Norwegian Apple Trifle for #Food of the World

We are going all the way to Norway for this month's #Food of the World event. I have little knowledge of Norwegian cuisine, so I went looking for recipes online. Thankfully I found this amazing blog, Nordic Diner, written by Trude who lives in Oslo now but spend her childhood in Northern Norway.
Apple Trifle
I was spellbound by her photos of Norway, the greenery, the mountains, the clear blue water, everything looks so pristine and picturesque. So Norway has been added to my bucket list now :-)
Norwegian cuisine, according to Trude, is based on fish, milk products and potatoes. Her blog has a number of authentic and traditional Norwegian dishes. One that I found very interesting was this black pudding that is made with blood (check out the link for more information on the blood part).
Individual Apple Trifle
I initially wanted to make this Winter fruit salad, but then saw this apple trifle recipe and knowing my love for individual desserts I made this instead. It is a very simple dessert with apple compote layered with cinnamon spiked cookie crumbs. Original recipe used digestive cookies that I didn't have, so I used graham crackers instead.
This trifle is called Tilslørte bondepiker in Norwegian which translates into 'veiled farm girls'. I have no clue what that has to do with the trifle. What I do know is that this is a simple, but very tasty dessert that can be made in no time. Toasting the cookie crumbs with ground cinnamon and butter gives out the most amazing smell, so don't skip that step.
Individual Apple Trifle
Recipe adapted from Nordic Diner:
Norwegian Apple Trifle
Ingredients:
  • 2 Medium Crisp and tart Apples, chopped
  • 1tbsp Sugar
  • ¼cup Apple juice or Water
  • ¼tsp Vanilla bean seeds or half a vanilla pod
  • 3~4 Graham crackers
  • ½tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1tbsp Unsalted Butter
  • ½cup Whipping Cream
Method:
  1. In a small pan, combine chopped apple, sugar, apple juice or water and vanilla bean seeds. Cover and cook till the apples are very soft. Mash it into a coarse mixture and set aside to cool.
  2. Crush the graham crackers into a coarse powder.
  3. In a small pan, melt butter and add the graham crackers and ground cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3~4 minutes or until the color changes slightly and gets fragrant. Remove from heat and cool.
  4. In the meantime, whip the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
  5. To serve: Divide the apple compote evenly in serving bowls, top with whipped cream and sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top. Alternately the trifle can also be made in individual glasses.
Individual Apple Trifle

Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

 


Submit your Norwegian recipes using the linky tool below:
Signature

5 comments:

  1. Looks so wonderful and so easy to make. Will be a fun dessert to serve to kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how simple and comforting this dessert is... thanks for sharing it on Food of the World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. blood sausage is actually popular in many countries - it is eaten throughout Europe part of the traditional Irish breakfast as well as South America and the caribbean although I could never really get into it :) but this trifle looks more up my alley and must have tasted delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an amazing dessert... so much of my taste... pinning it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a simple dessert. I have not tasted or heard of blood pudding but curry with goat or sheep blood is a delicacy. I never tasted it though it was cooked very often when we were growing up at both my paternal and maternal grandparents places.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips