Cook's Hideout: Indonesian Tofu Satay for #Food of the World

August 11, 2015

Indonesian Tofu Satay for #Food of the World

For this month's #Food of the world event, we are visiting the beautiful island of Aruba. It is an island country in the southern Caribbean sea. It is one of the 4 constituent countries that form the Kingdom of Netherlands along with the Netherlands, CuraƧao and Sint Maarten. 
Traditional Aruban cuisine includes dishes with goat meat, stoba-stew pots filled with vegetables that are locally grown - fish and maize. Finding a vegetarian recipe turned out to be quite challenging. Luckily Mir, my dear blog buddy and a fellow food of the world member, offered to help because her mom is Aruban. I jumped right away and took up the offer.
Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce
She emailed me quite a few vegetarian options for Aruban food. She also mentioned that Aruba has a very large population of Indonesian because it is a Dutch island and Indonesia was the largest former Dutch Island. and Arubans also eat a lot of Indonesian food.
Mir shared her recipe for Indonesian Satay and I followed the recipe to the 'T'. Indonesian satay is more spicy and intense than Thai satay. I had some vegetarian fish sauce in the fridge that I used in this recipe.
Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce
It was only after marinating the tofu did I realize that I didn't have any skewers to thread and make the kebabs. So I pulled out my stove top grill and grilled the tofu & veggies on it. All in all this is a delicious dish that is big on flavor. Thank you Mir for sharing this yummy recipe.

Ingredients: Serves 4
Extra firm tofu - 8oz. drained and patted dry (cut into ¾" cubes or cut into ½" thick slabs)
Broccoli - 2cups, cut into florets
Mushrooms - 1cup, halved if big

For the Marinade:
Soy sauce - 3tbsp
Palm sugar - 2tbsp
Garlic cloves - 3, finely minced
Rice Vinegar - 1tbsp
Ground Cumin - 1tsp
Ground Coriander - 1tsp

For Indonesian Peanut Sauce for Satay:
Peanut Butter - ½cup
Ginger - 1½tsp, finely grated
Soy Sauce - 2tbsp
Honey - 2tbsp
Fish Sauce - 1tbsp (I used this vegetarian fish sauce)
Chili paste - 2tbsp
Coconut milk - 1cup
Palm Sugar - 1tsp

Method:
  • For the tofu: Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a shallow dish or container with lid. Add tofu and marinate it for at least 2 hours or overnight.
  • Tofu and veggies can be threaded onto bamboo skewers (soaked in water for at least 30 minutes) and then baked in a preheated 400°F for 20~25 minutes or until browned evenly on all sides. Alternately they can be made on the outside grill or right on the stove top on a grill pan. I didn't have any bamboo skewers, so I grilled my tofu and the veggies on the stove top grill pan. Use the leftover marinade to brush the tofu and veggies while baking or grilling.
  • To make the Peanut Satay sauce: Heat 2tbsp peanut oil in a small saucepan, add the grated ginger and cook till it starts to sizzle and get fragrant.
  • Add all the other ingredients and whisk to form a smooth mixture. Cook till the sauce is nice and thick. Cool and store the leftover sauce in an airtight container.
Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce
Please visit our cohosts blogs and follow their sites! 

 


Submit your Aruban recipes using the linky tool below:

Signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sauce looks great- perfect color and consistency

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love tofu will definitely be trying out this marinade. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips