Cook's Hideout: Vegetarian Green Eggs (with Spinach)

July 17, 2015

Vegetarian Green Eggs (with Spinach)

Blogging Marathon# 54: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Cooking from Kid's Books/ TV shows
Dish: Green Eggs with Spinach
My theme for this week's Blogging Marathon is very interesting, it is 'Kid's Delight -- Cooking from Kid's Books/ TV shows'. PJ is hosting this month's Kid's Delight event with this very unique and interesting theme. My son loves to read books and like any kid watches TV too. So I thought it would be fun to make some dishes from books & TV shows he reads and watches.
Green Eggs with Spinach
For the first day, I made Vegetarian Green Eggs from Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham children's book. Like other Dr. Seuss books it is a very child friendly book with lots of rhyming words in simple vocabulary that even beginning readers will understand.
Green Eggs with Spinach
My son has been reading that book since he was may be 2 or 3. Couple of years ago, he was served green eggs (without ham for him) for Dr. Seuss day and he absolutely loved it. I asked his teacher for the recipe and they said, it was just regular scrambled eggs with green food color.
That didn't sound too healthy for me, so I looked around for some healthier options to make green eggs and found recipes using ground kale and spinach. So my version uses ground spinach to add the green color to eggs.
Green Eggs with Spinach
To make the dish a little more substantial, I added some toasted bread cubes and cheese right on the spinach omelet. It turned out to be very filling and delicious dish that my son absolutely loved.
If you don't eat eggs, then try this recipe with tofu (I'll post the recipe for tofu omelet soon) or with a chickpea flour omelet.

Ingredients: Serves 2
Eggs - 2
Bread slices - 2, cubed (wholewheat or wholegrain preferred)
Spinach - 2cups (substitute with kale, swiss chard etc)
Cheese - 2tbsp, grated
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Toast the bread cubes in a pan (with or without oil) until lightly browned and toasted. Remove and set aside.
  • Heat 1tsp oil in a pan, add the spinach and cook till wilted, about 2~3 minutes. Cool and grind to a paste. 
  • In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with the spinach paste, salt and pepper. whisk well to combine. 
  • Heat 2tsp butter or oil in a non-stick pan, pour in the egg mixture and cook till the bottom is almost set, about 2~3 minutes.
  • Sprinkle the cheese and toasted bread cubes on the egg mixture, cover and cook till the eggs are cooked through. Fold the omelette and serve right away!!
Green Eggs with Spinach

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 54.

Signature

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a very filling meal.. Am thinking how to sub d eggs though ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice ! I am sure a treat for egglovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has all my favorite ingredients plus it's healthy too! Yay! Am bookmarking this

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look very delicious, I sure your kid must have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely healthier than the food color version and i love the way you stuffed it with the bread and cheese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea Pavania..wish my kids eat this!..lovely colour and using the greens makes this so healthy too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips