Cook's Hideout: Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant Kurma) -- Revisiting Recipe

October 25, 2014

Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant Kurma) -- Revisiting Recipe

Blogging Marathon# 45: Week 4/ Day 2
Theme: Revisiting Old Recipes
Dish: Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant in Peanut-Yogurt sauce)
I am revisiting old recipes as part of this week's Blogging marathon theme and of course I had to browse through my eggplant recipes to see what needs a face lift. This also gives me a chance to make the dish again and enjoy it. My poor husband is the victim to all of my eggplant creations. I'm a eggplant lover and I'm on a mission to convert an eggplant hater to a somewhat liker. I think he's now in at the junction where he neither likes it nor dislikes it -- so hopefully he'll get to where I want him to be pretty soon.
Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant Kurma)
So browsing through the archives, I ended up on this Eggplant kurma that I posted more than 3 years ago. I am not a big fan of yogurt in curries, but I've to tell you the yogurt gives the dish tanginess and makes it absolutely delicious. I used 'labneh'-- a Turkish style thick cream sort of yogurt that is almost like Greek yogurt and I loved the results. I was skeptical if my husband would find out the presence of yogurt (which he also dislikes with a passion), but labneh didn't have the smell that Indian yogurt has and it was virtually undetectable.
I'm so happy I remade this dish -- it is a great side dish to plain or flavored rice, rotis or naans or just about. I can probably just eat it by the spoonfuls :-)
Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant Kurma)
Ingredients:
Eggplants – 10-12, medium size
Onion – 2 medium, chopped
Grated dry coconut – 2tbsp
Roasted Peanuts – 3tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1tbsp
Ground coriander – 1 tbsp
Ground Cumin – ½ tsp
Ground fenugreek – ¼ tsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Ginger + garlic paste – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 2tsp (or to taste)
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
Fenugreek seeds (Menthulu) – a few
Curry leaves – 6-8
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup, roughly chopped
Yogurt – ½ cup

Method:
  • With the crown portion of the eggplant still intact, slit them into 4 pieces or if you are like chop the crown out and cut eggplant into 4 separate wedges.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauté pan and fry onions until browned and slightly caramelized. Remove and keep aside.
  • Fry sesame seeds until light brown; set aside.
  • Grind peanuts, sesame seeds, grated coconut, ground coriander, cumin, fenugreek pd, yogurt, onions, turmeric, red chili pd, salt, ginger+garlic paste and coriander leaves into a smooth paste using very little water.
  • Stuff the eggplants with the paste (or not if you are following my lazy advise) and save the leftover paste for later.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in the same sauté pan, add cumin & fenugreek seeds and once they start to splutter, gently slide in the stuffed eggplants (or the wedges and all of the ground paste); cover and cook on low flame.
  • After the eggplants are cooked through, add the remaining masala paste mixed with ½ cup of water. Simmer for 5-6 minutes.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice or roti.
Vankaya Kurma (Eggplant Kurma)
Lets check what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 45.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. I am not an eggplant person but I am sure my family would love this dish. The pictures and presentation is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me that bowl, i can have this irresistible vankaya kurma just like that, eyecatching clicks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum..I make bhagara bhaingan in similar way. But I skip the yogurt part though

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get to your older post, just to see how it looked...no doubt this one is stunning..I can imagine your husband getting converted very soon..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely clicks Pavani. We are not great eggplant lovers due to various reasons but my husband does enjoy a tasty one like the one you featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the reverse in my home. My husband is a great lover of eggplants and a few days back he bought a huge load of eggplants and I am finding it hard to finish them before they get spoiled. :)
    And definitely the dish must be an yummy one for eggplant lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kurma with eggplant is a very interesting side dish :) love the aromatic fresh ground masala added to it must have given the extra flavor and taste :) tempting me !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful click, Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  9. photos are so vibrant and beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips