Cook's Hideout: Mixed Dal Sambar with Onion & Radish

September 07, 2014

Mixed Dal Sambar with Onion & Radish

It has been a busy month so far with the on-going A-Z International mega marathon. But I didn't want to miss Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge' because I have so many recipes bookmarked that if I don't make them now, I'll never make them.
Mixed Dal Sambar with Onion & Radish
This Mixed Dal Sambar recipe is from a recent Telugu cooking show that I watched and liked the use of more than one dal to make sambar. I jotted it down and made it today for lunch. I've blogged masoor dal sambar & regular sambar already. Taste wise I don't think there's any difference between this and the regular sambars, but I think texture wise adding moong dal makes this a little more creamy than the other versions. Give it a try if you looking for a slightly different variation to your regular sambar. Also change the veggies too and add whatever you fancy or have in your fridge.

Mixed Dal Sambar with Onion & Radish
Ingredients:
Toor Dal - 2tbsp
Masoor Dal - 2tbsp
Moong dal - 2tbsp
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced (or use ½cup of small sambar onions or shallots)
Radish - 1 small piece, peeled and chopped
Tomatoes - 2 medium, chopped
Green Chilies - 2, slit
Tamarind pulp - 2tbsp
Sambar Powder - 2tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp (optional)
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Dry red chilies - 2
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Fenugreek seeds - ½tsp
Asafoetida/ Hing - ½tsp
Curry leaves - 8~10

Method:
  • Combine all the dals and pressure cook until very soft.
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a medium saucepan, add the red chilies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
  • Next add the green chilies, onions and radish. Cover and cook till the veggies are tender, about 5~6 minutes.
  • Next add the tomatoes, chili powder (if using), turmeric, sambar powder and salt. Cook covered until tomatoes turn mushy.
  • Add tamarind pulp and cooked dal. Mix well and add enough water to get the desired consistency. Simmer for 5~6 minutes. Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with steamed rice.




Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: September -- Week 1'.










Signature

2 comments:

  1. I love radish very much in sambar, looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a delicious version and I like idea of a creamier texture especially great to have in winter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips