Cook's Hideout: Pistachio Sandwich Cookies

April 07, 2013

Pistachio Sandwich Cookies

Blogging Marathon# 27: Week 1/ Day 7
Theme: Occasions/ Goodies to Blog buddies
Dish: Pistachio Sandwich Cookies
When blog buddies meet there is going to be food to eat, food to talk about and food to take home. So after our lunch at I wrote about here, I sent my buddies home with some of my homemade goodies. These pistachio sandwich cookies were one among them.
I love slice and bake icebox cookie recipes. What that means is the dough is made into a log and chilled in the ice box for 4 hours (or up to 3 days, it can even to frozen) and then sliced and baked. I don't like rolling the dough and cutting the cookie using cookie cutters. It seems to too time consuming and messy. I actually have a whole box of cookie cutters that I have never used until now. Maybe when my daughter grows a little older, I can learn with her :-)
This recipe is from Everyday Food magazine. Recipe looked simple to make and the pictures were too tempting not to try.
My cookies turned out on the 'oval' side because when the logs I made had a flat side. So to avoid that, make sure that the logs are round, so you get rounder, circular cookies.
Make note that the butter should be very soft and at room temperature.
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 2 1/3 cups
Confectioners Sugar - ¾cup
Unsalted Butter - 2 sticks (1cup), at room temperature
Fine Salt - ½tsp
Pistachios - 1 cup, coarsely chopped
Strawberry Jam - 1/3 cup

Method:
  • In a food processor, process butter, confectioners sugar and salt until smooth. Add flour and pulse until dough forms. Stir in pistachios. 
  • Shape the dough into 8" long logs, tightly wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 3hours. Logs can be frozen for up to 1 month.
  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut dough into ¼ inch slices and transfer to parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set and barely golden at edges, about to 10-15 minutes, rotating sheets half way through. Let cool completely on wire racks.
  • Once the cookies are completely cooled, spread ½tsp strawberry jam on bottoms of half the cookies, then sandwich with the remaining cookies. 
Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 27.
Signature

16 comments:

  1. I haven't tried yet these kind of cookies. The pistachio ones look really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catchy and very attractive cookies, elegant and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat for the other BM buddies! These look really pretty. I still fondly remember all the homemade goodies I got at Ahmedabad during our BM meet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome Pavani, though I have baked so many cookies, I am yet to try these frozen ones, that I have been wanting to bake..must be great to cut out from a log and bake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look so tempting , right now eating them through my eyes..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. u have all beautiful flavors going in there together, seems lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..I must say these would taste like the cookies we get at Karachiwala..You would know..love the concept and presentation..Btw first time to your blog..love the space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love icebox cookies too. Such hassle free recipes they are. Love the pistachios in the cookies. Very well made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome. I haven't tried these icebox variety of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father wanted me to make cookies when I go home this time, this seems to be a perfect recipe to try. I am off to make some.... Will let you know how it came out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. tat seems to have some much with these sandwich.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfectly baked cookies,loved the color of the cookies,great clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try this recipe out and give them as gourmet cookie gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this shape for the cookies than the regular round ones and the clicks are stunning as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely one, like your frozen idea instead of cutting,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips