Cook's Hideout: Cucumber Sweet & Sour Chutney (Keera Dosakaya Pachadi)

February 10, 2013

Cucumber Sweet & Sour Chutney (Keera Dosakaya Pachadi)

Blogging Marathon# 25: Week 2/ Day 1
Theme: Cooking from a Book
Dish: Cucumber Sweet & Sour Chutney (Keera Dosakaya Pachadi)
My theme for week 2 of BM# 25 is "Cooking from a Book". Like a lot of you reading this post, I have a ton of cookbooks that I have bought over the years. I find a million reasons to buy a book and I see myself cooking through the entire book before buying. But once the book comes home, it sometimes gets neglected.  I have to say I do refer to my cookbooks when I'm in a rut to make something.
So for this week's theme, I decided to try some Indian dishes from my Indian cookbooks. For the first day I made "Cucumber Chutney/ Keera Dosakaya Pachadi" from "Cooking with Pedatha" cookbook. Keera dosakaya or salad/ english cucumber is rarely used in cooking in my household. It's generally used in raitas or for salads, so this dish is a delicious variation for us.
Ingredients:
English Cucumber - 2 medium, peeled and thinly sliced into 1" long pieces or ½" cubes
Sambar powder - 2tsp
Tamarind Pulp - 3tbsp
Jaggery - 1tbsp
Roasted Sesame powder - 2tsp
Turmeric - ½tsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - 2tbsp, finely chopped

For Tempering:
Urad dal - 1tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Red Chilies - 2-3
Green Chilies - 2, slit
Curry leaves - 8
Asafoetida (hing) - ¼tsp

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add the tempering ingredients and once the seeds start to splutter, add chopped cucumbers and cook for a minute.
  • Add the tamarind pulp, turmeric, sambar powder, jaggery and sesame seed powder. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
  • Add salt just before switching off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with rice and a curry for a complete meal.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up today for BM# 25.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! Would be a perfect combo with hot rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very Yummy Pavani... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very different variety from cucumber.love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cant take my eyes from that fingerlicking chutney, super irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking yummy and love the combination...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sambar powder in a chutney is totally new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one to go with dosai and idly..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never think of cooking cucumbers - I only eat them fresh in salads, etc. - totally new to me to cook cukes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a similar post sans sambhar powder of course. :)The chutney looks like a gravy side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Recipe....look fabulous and perfectly done

    Simply Tadka

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips