Cook's Hideout: Banana-Chocolate Bread

April 26, 2012

Banana-Chocolate Bread

Today's bread is my son’s absolute favorite. He loves chocolate in about anything; pancakes, cookies, pies, roti anything at all. If you ask him if he likes to eat something, his question would be does it have chocolate in it? So when I saw this Banana-Chocolate bread recipe in Everyday Food magazine, I just had to make it. 

This is a quick bread which almost has a cake-like moist texture. Since I have both bread & cake in the same sentence, I started to think what the difference between bread and cake is – you have banana bread and then you have banana cake. I wasn’t sure and then when I googled it, I found that David Lebovitz also has the same question. At that point, I stopped looking for an answer and went to enjoy my banana bread.

I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half AP flour to make it a little healthy.


Ingredients
All-purpose flour – 1 cup 
Whole-wheat Pastry flour - 2/3 cup
Unsalted Butter - 1/2cup (1 stick), at room temperature
Baking Soda - 1tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 11/4 cups
Eggs - 1 large, room temperature
Mashed overripe Bananas - 1.5cups (from 4 medium bananas)
Sour cream - 2tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1tsp
Semi sweet/ Bitter sweet chocolate - 6 oz, chopped (I used some semi-sweet chocolate chips along with some chopped milk chocolate)

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9"x5" loaf pan.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda.
  • In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light fluffy, using a electric mixer, 3 minutes.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides as needed.
  • Beat in bananas, sour cream and vanilla.
  • Beat in flour mixture and chocolate on medium sped.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  • Bake until the cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
  • Let the bread cool in the pan for 10minutes, then remove onto a cooling rack to completely cool down.
 

Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked for Day 4 of BM# 15.

Signature

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful loaf of bread you have baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pavani, I really won't care about the name, the dish looks so inviting and awesome that it might get over before you even contemplate!..I might try this without that egg..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks awesome...cant wait to try your recipe
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks absolutely inviting, so soft and I wish I could just grab it from the screen. Very well done!!!Jayanthi(www.sizzlingveggies.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never baked banana bread... and have been bookmarking recipes and I had the same question... Coz it seems to be practically cake... I guess it's time bake this deliciousness... who cares if it's cake or bread as long as it's yummy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very appealing. This one is my daughter's fa orite too and I bake an eggless version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choco banana is my new favorite combination. I too am looking to try out your version minus the eggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana chocolate cake is my new favourite...am eager to try out your version now...the slices cooling on the rack are begging to be devoured!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another perfect bread post from you! Love the click!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wat a fabulous combo,wish to have few slices rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow delicious recipe,luks so soft and perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate in roti?! I love the concept :)
    The banana chocolate bread looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bread looks perfect and the clicks are gorgeous.

    Vardhini
    CooksJoy

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..looks cool..lovely bread ,wonderfully baked with amazing texture and flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i was planning to make that bread

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool bread.. Like it much....

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips