Cook's Hideout: Luchi with Aloo'r Dom (Bengali Maida Puri with Aloo Curry)

May 21, 2011

Luchi with Aloo'r Dom (Bengali Maida Puri with Aloo Curry)

For Day 6 of BM#5, I wanted to combine my bread making skills from BM#4 with the regional theme for BM#5 and make these Bengali maida puris. My puri making have improved after my mom sent a puri press to do the hard work. So now all I have to do is make the dough, press the puris in my puri press and fry the, up; really simple. Only thing is I don't like to deal all that oil afterwards and hence my reluctance to make anything fried.

Luchi1

Well today I made these yummy puris for lunch and the three of us ate all the puris. I felt so full and sleepy that I had to take a 2 hour siesta, which happens very rarely.

Recipe adapted from Sandeepa's Bong Cookbook.

Luchi:
Ingredients:
All purpose flour - 1½ cups
Whole wheat flour - ¾cup
Shortening or oil - 2tbsp (I used crisco)
Salt - ½tsp

Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until oil is evenly distributed in the flour.
  • Add water a little at a time and form a stiff but pliable dough.
  • Cover with a damp paper towel and rest for 30 minutes.
  • Divide the dough into small Indian lime size pieces (limes & lemons in the U.S. are HUGE) and make them into smooth balls. Roll each ball into a not to thin, not too thick disc of about 3-4" diameter or if you have the puri press, just press the dough into a disc and place on a plate.
  • Heat enough oil in a pan for deep frying. Oil should be really hot before making the puris. Slide one disc slowly into the oil and it should sizzle and if the oil temperature is right, it will rise to the top in matter of seconds. Press lightly on the top with a slotted spoon to make the puri puff up. flip and fry on the other side for 30 seconds. Remove on to paper towel lined plate and enjoy hot with Aloo'r dom or any other side dish.
Puri puffing up pictorial:

Luchi4

Luchi5

Luchi6

Luchi3

Luchi2

Aloo'r Dom (Bengali Dum Aloo):
Ingredients:
Small red skin potatoes - 8-10, boiled and peeled
Onion - 1 small, ground to a coarse paste
Tomato puree - ½ cup
Bay leaves - 2
Hing (Asafoetida) - a pinch
Ginger - 1 tsp, finely grated
Yogurt - 2tbsp
Ground Coriander - ½ tsp
Garam masala - ½tsp
Red chili powder - ½tsp (or to taste)
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a pan; add bay leaves and hing and once the oil gets fragrant add onions and sauté till they are lightly browned.
  • Add the ginger paste and cook for another minute.
  • Next add tomato puree, cover and cook till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
  • In the meantime whisk the dry masala powders in yogurt and set aside.
  • Once the tomato mixture is ready, take the pan off of the heat and slowly whisk in the yogurt mixture. This will avoid curdling of yogurt.
  • Put the pan back on heat and slide in the potatoes (I cut them into half as they were little big, but if you have tiny potatoes use them whole), season with salt; cover and cook on low flame until the water in the gravy evaporates and the masala coats the potatoes.
  • Enjoy with Luchi.
My son loved the puris and enjoyed them with some raspberry jam and we enjoyed them with aloo'r dom for a delicious Bengali menu for lunch.

Luchi

Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have been cooking up today:
Curry in a hurry under 30 min: Priya Suresh, Srivalli, Usha
Seven Days of Colorful Dishes Kid's Special: Vardhini,
Seven Days of Indian Sweets: Harini, Suma, Veena
Seven Days of Regional Specials: Aarthi, Kalyani, Pavani, Shylaja
Summer Coolers: PJ, Vaishali
Under 15 mins Quick Breakfast: Sushma Pinjala
Signature

11 comments:

  1. My folks will never say No to puris and any Alu curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way .. I hate to deal with oil after deep frying and so it is a very rare thing at home .. Also I have issues with poori puffing up .. may be if I work on it .. I will get it right soon :)

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so tempting and perfect.. awesome clicks !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tempting post this is! Puris and siesta pretty much sounds like the perfect weekend to me. Loving all your Bengali dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply inviting, would love to finish that whole rite now..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great...I'm very intrigued by your puri press :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puris are favorite in my house and there was a time when our brunch every weekend use to be puris. It has been over six months since I made puris.. We have become health nuts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I had made the same combo from her blog..it was so delicious..seeing yours makes me want to try it out again..

    ReplyDelete

  9. This recipe is simple, and amazing. Best naan ive had, and ive never baked anything. Im so proud of its taste and look that I took pictures. Definitely coming back to this site.
    Restaurant in North Campus

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips