Cook's Hideout: Arbi Curry (My favorite curry) & an Upcoming Review

September 14, 2010

Arbi Curry (My favorite curry) & an Upcoming Review

After doing 2 reviews for CSN stores, the CSN Promo team selected me as a Preferred Blogger which means I get to review another product. As a new home buyer who shopped around for months looking for the right bedroom furniture, I know how important it is to find stuff at the right price. CSN has wide variety of cheap bedroom furniture and it is a One Stop Shop for everything you need for your bedroom. So watch out for the upcoming review.
We have a library right on our street, about 10 houses away and even though their timings are not very convenient during the week, I try to take some time out on Saturdays to take a walk and grab a book. Also one cool feature our county has is we can borrow books from any of the 75 libraries in the county and I’ve always managed to get various books from different libraries within 3-4 days.
My first book from our new library is Raghavan Iyer’s 660 Curries. It’s a big book with so many delicious dishes to try, but when I read this Arbi curry in peanut-garlic sauce, my mouth started watering right away. I know fried food is always yummy, but this dish just takes it another level.
Boiled arbi (colocassia) is dusted with besan (chickpea flour) and deep fried. Oh.. my.. these arbi pakodas are sooooo yummy. You can’t pay me enough to deep fry anything, but I can make any number of exceptions for this dish AND I deep fry on a weekday, now that is unheard of in our household. Also the peanut-garlic sauce is to DIE for, this dish is totally addictive—I promise. So people please get some arbi and start deep frying and make this incredibly delicious dish right away.



Ingredients:
Arbi (colocassia) – 10-12 small
Besan – ¼ cup
Chili powder – 1tsp
Roasted Peanuts – 2tbsp
Garlic – 4 cloves
Coriander leaves – ¼ cup, chopped
Green chilies – 4
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Pressure cook arbi until tender. When cool enough to peel and chop into 2” pieces. Alternately follow Raghavan’s method: Thoroughly wash arbi and peel and chop them into 2” pieces. Boil in water for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
  • Mix chickpea flour, chili powder & salt, then add the arbi and toss around to coat them with the flour mixture. Deep fry until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
  • Grind peanuts, coriander leaves, chilies & garlic cloves into a coarse paste. Raghavan suggests using a mortar & pestle to do this, I used my mini food processor instead.
  • Heat 2 tbsp oil in a sauté pan; add the peanut mixture and sauté till lightly browned and garlic bits start sticking to the bottom.
  • Add 1 cup water and de-glaze the pan; next add the fried arbi and mix well to coat arbi with the thin gravy. Bring this to a boil; lower the heat and cook uncovered for 6-7 minutes or until the gravy sticks to the pieces.
Serve hot with steamed rice and sambar. (don’t forget to mix in some ghee—makes the meal heavenly).
Signature

6 comments:

  1. looks crispy n delicious...n click dear..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicious and wonderful looking arbi curry, adding peanuts sounds very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is ages ago i had colocasia and this looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pavani,

    First time on your site and I must say I havent explored at all but I loved this recipe. Combination of besan and peanuts have to be good...Shall try this one soon!!!

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO yummy! They are very delicious and want to try it at home. Kids will love it! We own a Wall Mirrors ecommerce site and are always looking for great content to share and help inspire. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips