Cook's Hideout: Eggless (Yet Creamy) Vanilla Ice Cream

July 31, 2010

Eggless (Yet Creamy) Vanilla Ice Cream

The last ice cream I made was sooo good, rich and delicious, but it had way too many eggs in it that I couldn’t pull myself to make it again. At the same time it was soooo good, creamy & yummy, that couldn’t go back and make my eggless icy crystal version.
So that meant the ice cream maker had to collect dust for a couple months until I found this eggless version that is just as good but without the eggs. So when I saw this recipe that uses corn starch to thicken the ice cream, I had to make it right away.

I made this basic vanilla ice cream thrice already and it was a hit each time. Recipe also uses just little bit of cream cheese to give the final ice cream better scoopability & softness. The final result was this creamy with no crystals and an ice cream that melts in your mouth. I used whipped cream cheese on my second try and it made life much easier as you can use it right out of the fridge and don’t have to worry about softening it on the counter.


Ingredients:
Whole Milk – 2 cups
Heavy cream – 1 ¼ cups
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Light Corn syrup – 1½ tbsp
Pure Vanilla extract – 2 tbsp
Corn starch – 1tbsp plus 1tsp
Cream cheese – 3tbsp (1½ oz.), softened.

Method:
  • Mix corn starch with 2tbsp milk in a small bowl and set aside.
  • Add the remaining milk, heavy cream, sugar and corn syrup in a large sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook on moderate heat until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat. Gradually whisk in the corn starch mixture. Return to boil and cook on moderately high heat until the mixture thickens a little bit, between 1-2 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and mix in the softened cream cheese. Let cool. Once the mixture is slightly cooled add the vanilla extract. Chill the milk mixture for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
  • Once thoroughly chilled follow your ice cream machine instructions to make the ice cream. Enjoy right away or freeze for later.
I served my ice cream topped with the chocolate ganache I made here.
Signature

5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful and creamy scoop of ice cream. This reminds me of home and my mom makes it eggless too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious delectable ice cream looks absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowww... absolutely delicious... looks perfect dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is a awesome looking delicious n creamy ice cream...love to have it anytime of the day...thanks for sharing dear

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanilla ice cream looks creamy and delicious the right dessert for summer!!! Nicely described and pictured!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips