Cook's Hideout: Godhuma Rawa Halwa (Broken Wheat Halwa)

March 27, 2009

Godhuma Rawa Halwa (Broken Wheat Halwa)

I find the broken wheat or Dalia that we get in the Indian groceries here in US is coarse and little too chewy to my taste. I love it in upma and khichdi, but halwa needs a finer rawa. My MIL was kind enough to send me some very fine godhuma rawa and that is what I used in this recipe.


Ingredients:
Godhuma Rawa (fine cracked wheat) – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups (try a combination of water & milk or all milk for creamier halwa)
Sugar – 1cup
Cardamom – 4 pods crushed
Cashews/ Almonds/ Raisins – as per taste

Method:
  • Heat 1tbsp ghee in a pan, add the rawa and fry on medium flame till lightly roasted and fragrant.
  • While the rawa is roasting, bring water (or milk) to boil in a saucepan.
  • Once rawa is roasted to golden brown, slowing add water (milk); reduce the flame to low and keep stirring to make sure that there are no lumps. Cover and cook on medium-low flame till rawa is cooked thoroughly.
  • Add sugar and cardamom powder; mixture will get liquidy and will slowly start to thicken again. Turn off the stove once the desired thickness is reached. Stir in fried raisins, cashews and almonds. Serve at room temperature or cold.

This is my entry to this month’s JFI-Wheat being hosted by Roma @ Roma’s Space. JFI is the brainchild of Indira of Mahanandi.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely click pavani..Halwa is looking yummy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presentation is absolutely wonderful.Like the recipe a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a nice presentation! Is this the same as dalia or finer than that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat a delicious Halwa, also helathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! Your halwa looks rich and delicious. Its like a royal delicacy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bowl and very glorious ur halwa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The halwa looks fabulous Pavani! I wish I could have a bowlful of it right now :) Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the halwa and love the bowl you have served them, i so wish i had a beautiful bowl like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful bowl. Where do u buy it? I fell in love with it and halwa too. Only one tbsp of ghee sounds so gud. I added more as I learnt from Tamilians and make my weight like pear-shaped. I came to know ur blog through wheat event that I too participate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks girls :-) Glad you liked my halwa. Do try.

    Hi Rajee, I brought bowl from my mom. I think she might have got it in a goodie bag from one of the ladies function (Perantam). Thanks for visiting.. do come back..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is not really a halwa ... but rather rawa kesari. Halwa is made with brown sugar that is caramelized.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips