Cook's Hideout: Merry Christmas with Andhra Cake

December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas with Andhra Cake

Wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

I made Chocolate chip cookies, Pound cake and a special Andhra Cake (its not baked, but rather cooked cake) for Christmas this year.
This is the newest help that I bought from India this time. Its a multi-function table-top grinder (Ultra pride+). Making idlis and dosas is going to be a jiffy now (its just going to more convenient than regular blender).

My Ammamma used to make big fluffy Dibba rottes (literally translated into "Fat bread") in a round brass utensil (ittadi ginne). It resembles a cake in both shape and texture and hence the name Andhra cake.
Th cake is basically made with fresh idli batter which is not fermented.

Ingredients:
Urad dal (minapappu) - 1 cup
Idli rawa - 2 cups
Jeera - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Method:
  • Soak urad dal and idli rawa (separately) for 4-5 hours.
  • Grind urad dal into smooth batter by adding little water. Add pre-soaked idli rawa to the batter and mix well. Add jeera to the batter and mix well.
  • In a deep (either round or flat bottom) pan, heat 2 tsp oil on medium heat, add about 2 cups (or more depending on the size of your pan) of batter. Place a small steel plate or spoon in the batter, so that the inside gets cooked evenly. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rotte comes out without sticking to the bottom.
  • Turn the rotte over and cook on the other side for another 7-10 minutes.
  • Remove from the pan, cut into wedges and serve with chutney, sambhar or pachadi.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Pavani

    Congrats on your new acquisition. And thanks for the recipe. I heard of this dish in India and did not know how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hai pavani
    congrats..
    nice dibbarotti...right..:-)looking yummy....thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you, happy holidays. One portable grinder is in my list of things to buy on my next India vaccation. This is totally a new recipe to me,will try it out soon, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi pavani....chala santosham ga vundi dibbarotti anna mata vini...chala rojulu ayyipoyindi chesukuni....maa nannamma chesipettedi...i miss indian food!!!!:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pavani,
    Great that you have purchased wet grinder.Dibba rotte has come out very good. Wish you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pavani,
    this dish looks delicious, and easy to amek even without oven. thanks for sharing this.

    wishing Merry christmas and a bright new year ahead to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pavani,
    My friend make this and she call it as "Attu". Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Holidays Pavani
    Your new grinder looks great, I had seen one of them at a friends place who is from B'lore. It's amazing
    Loved the Andhra cake you made..something different for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lakshmi and Swapna.

    Hi Archana,
    Wish you and your family very happy Holidays. Portable wet grinder is a very good investment. Do try the recipe and let me know if you liked it.

    Thank you Haripriya. I miss Indian food too, even though I just came back from India.

    Thank you Laxmiammal.

    Thank you Pooja. Yes.. it is great way to make a cake sans oven. My mom was telling me that our neighbors in India celebrated their birthday cutting this Andhra cake. :-)

    Thank you Menu today.

    Thank you Sandeepa. Wish you too a very happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pavani! Nice that you put an authentic, old-time recipe on your blog! I rarely see them made nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pavani,Love dibbarotte.That grinder is great help,I agree..wish I had one too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pavani,
    I tried this recipe out this morning and it was awesome! I used my wet grinder too.

    I had never tried this recipe before, but I really enjoyed it. It was nice and light, tasting kind of like bread married with iddli. Served it with sambar and coconut chutney and it was perfect.

    Thanks for such great recipes!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rotte means rat in Norwegian, hoho.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy ... I am going to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing with us.
    More than a year ago I bought my ultra wet grinder from http://www.perfectpeninsula.com/Ultra125Litres.html
    It is a very good friend in my kitchen too. It help to make fluffy idlis and crispy dosa : ) Do you have kara dosai recipe ?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips