Cook's Hideout: Roasted vegetable and Black bean BARE Burrito..

May 26, 2006

Roasted vegetable and Black bean BARE Burrito..

One thing I couldn’t figure out in the last 5 years is how to eat overstuffed sandwiches or wraps. I become very clumsy and self conscious when eating these big size sandwiches. I see myself constantly looking around to find any occasional giggles or stares. I figured the best thing to do is stay away from them in public places (make them to-go and eat at home or desk).
So you can imagine my ecstasy when I found this bare-burrito on Baja Fresh menu. All the ingredients in a burrito layered in a bowl instead of wrapping in a tortilla. This is my entry to Sweet nicks ARF/ 5-a-day Tuesday event. My first ever entry into any food blog event. :-)

Ingredients:
Cooked long grain rice – ½ cup (You can use any kind of rice)
Cheddar or Pepper Jack Cheese– ¼ cup

For Black bean Sauce:
Black beans – 2 cups cooked or 16 oz. can, rinsed and drained
Onion – 1 medium
Jalapenos – 2
Tomato sauce – 2tbsp
Corn – ½ cup
Garlic cloves - 2
Cumin powder – 1tsp
Chili powder – 1tsp
Salt and pepper – to taste

For Guacamole Salsa:
Avocado – 1
Plum ripe tomatoes – 2, seeded and chopped
Garlic clove – 1
Jalapeno – 1
Lemon juice – 2tsp
Red onion – ½ small (or 1 shallot)
Salt

Vegetables:
Green Peppers – 2
Zucchini – 2
Yellow Squash – 1
Onions – 2
Salt and Pepper

Method:
Roasted Vegetables:
· Pre heat oven to 400˚F.
· Cut the vegetables into big chunks and coat them with olive oil, salt and pepper.
· Roast them in the oven for 20-25minutes or until tender, but not mushy.

Black Bean Sauce:
· Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, when warm add garlic and sauté.
· Add chopped onions, jalapeno and sauté till onions turn transparent.
· Add the beans, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. You can add water if the mixture is too thick.
· Let it simmer for about 10minutes. Keep aside.

Guacamole:
· Put all the ingredients in a blender and pulse them couple of times. I like it smooth, but you can make it chunky too.

Putting them all together:
· Take a bowl, add a layer of rice then add the black bean sauce, roasted vegetables, guacamole and cheese. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and serve.


Notes:
· Store bought guacamole and salsa will reduce the prepping time.
· Vegetables can be either grilled or sautéed instead of roasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips